Please view this message online at:
* On the Road Again! Mike Mease Embarks on BFC’s 2015 West Coast Road Show
* Gala & Art Auction to Benefit BFC in Denver, October 23, 2015
* Remembering Brianna Lea Pruett
* NEW Take Action Items
* Listen: BFC’s Stephany Seay Interviewed by Derrick Jensen on Resistance Radio
* Special Thanks to Everyone Who Helped with Wood Cut Week
* Video: BFC’s Goodshield Aguilar and Sundog Honor Rosalie Little Thunder
* Help Spread the Word ~ Distribute BFC’s Annual Newsletter
* Stand With the Buffalo! Field Volunteers Needed for Coming Season
* By the Numbers
* Last Words of Buffalo Inspiration ~ Derrick Jensen
* ***On the Road Again! Mike and Sam Embark on BFC’s 2015 Road Show
** [ http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/aboutus/roadshow2015.html ]
* Click the road show poster image to view the schedule and download posters you can distribute
in your community! Poster design by BFC’s Cindy Rosin.
BFC will be on the West Coast from September 12 through October 10, building awareness about the needs of our native bison through presentations and concerts in many west coast communities.
Please check out the schedule
[ http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/aboutus/roadshowabout2015.html ]
at http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/aboutus/roadshow2015.html [ http://buffalofieldcampaign.org/aboutus/roadshow2015.html ] or click the poster image above.
Mike Mease will be joined by the incredible musicians and eco-warriors, Goodshield Aguilar and Mignon Geli. Join this amazing trio for music and stories from the front lines. These buffalo warriors will inspire you to take action on behalf of America’s last wild, migratory buffalo.
This year we’re honored to be doing events with Pearl Jam and John Trudell, and there may be a
few more surprises along the way, so please join us in a town near you!
Check the schedule and download posters that you can distribute in your community HERE. [ http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/aboutus/roadshowabout2015.html ]*
** Gala & Art Auction to Benefit BFC in Denver
SAVE THE DATE: OCTOBER 23, 2015*
*We are pleased to announce that Red Shoes Studio is sponsoring a very special evening in support of BFC’s work to protect America’s last wild herds of native bison. Feast on gourmet food and live music and bid on live and silent auction items. Please plan on attending and help BFC spread the word about this very special event. For tickets, click HERE [ http://www.redshoesstudio.com/ ] or on the poster below.*
** **Remembering Brianna Lea Pruett
*Artwork by Brianna Lea Pruett
Brianna Lea Pruett passed away unexpectedly on Sept. 2. We are shocked and saddened by this news. She was only 32. She brought so much beauty into this world with her wonderful spirit, inspired music and artwork, and strong activism. She gave much of herself to the buffalo. We are honored to have known you, Brianna, and will not forget you.
* ** “NEW” Take Action Items
One of the many tools we use to affect change is pressuring decision-makers to do the right thing. Below are two new Take Action items, as well as an ongoing one that still needs everyone’s attention.
1. [ http://org.salsalabs.com/o/2426/letter/?letter_KEY=1568 ] Submit Letters to the Editor in support of BFC’s alternative to “Manage Wild Bison Like Wild Elk in Montana,” the only alternative that respects wild buffalo and their right to roam their home.
2. [ http://org.salsalabs.com/o/2426/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=18359 ] Help change the status quo for wild buffalo by urging your members of Congress to support BFC’s alternative to “Manage Wild Bison Like Wild Elk in Montana.”
3. [ http://org.salsalabs.com/o/2426/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=17804 ] Montana Governor Steve Bullock needs to feel the pressure from everyone who cares about wild, migratory buffalo, enough pressure that he has no other choice than to help repeal MCA 81-2-120, the law that is driving the nefarious actions against America’s last wild buffalo. Please contact Governor Bullock today, and everyday, demanding he change the status quo for wild bison in Montana by repealing MCA 81-2-120 and rejecting the government’s alternatives in the newly proposed Montana-Yellowstone Bison Management Plan.
** Listen: BFC’s Stephany Seay Interviewed by Derrick Jensen on Resistance Radio*
I recently had the honor of being interviewed by one of our greatest heroes, highly acclaimed environmental writer, philosopher, activist, and all around incredible human being, Derrick Jensen. This was a unique interview, more like a conversation with a friend. We spoke of the work of Buffalo Field Campaign, the issues facing the buffalo year after year, the culture of the buffalo and their relationship with the land and other beings; we shared stories and spoke about the difficulties all activists face as we continue to experience those we love come under assault again and again. Obviously we have yet to stop the destruction of life on this planet, and the sorrow and rage we feel is important to embrace, and, instead of giving up, we must turn these emotions into something more, something that will make a real and meaningful difference. The work we are all doing is so very critical, and we must continue to do everything we can and more.
Listen to the full interview HERE [ http://prn.fm/resistance-radio-stephany-seay-08-30-15/ ]. *
* Special Thanks to Everyone Who Helped with Woodcut Week* As I prepare to leave camp for the West Coast Road Show, the biggest chore is to get BFC headquarters ready for winter. Getting the firewood to all of our cabins, cutting, stacking and covering the wood is the most work. Thanks to the following people, this chore was accomplished this week with our annual Wood Cut Week. First, a man who has been coming for the last five years all the way from Williams, OR, is Brian. Next, coming from Seattle, WA were Scott and Stephany. Ariana and Bjorn lent some unexpected helping hands. Don and Sam, two of our volunteers who never stop giving, helped a great deal.
Also a special thanks to Eric and Natalie for cooking delicious meals for the entire wood cutting crew. The only sad part was our 12 year old chain saw has done it’s last work for us. It is a tool we can’t live without. We are asking for help to replace it with a new one costing $700. Any donation to help us get a new one would be greatly appreciated by BFC. A finally thanks to all of our supporters who give us the honor to stand with the buffalo.
With the Buffalo,
** Video: BFC’s Goodshield Aguilar and Sundog Honor Rosalie Little Thunder*
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ10psCsn8I ] Click to view on YouTube or visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ10psCsn8I [
Buffalo Warriors Corey “Sundog” Mascio and Goodshield Aguilar speaking from the heart on behalf of Buffalo Field Campaign and Pte Oyate and honoring the memory of Rosalie Little Thunder, co-founder of Buffalo Field Campaign. Music by Mignon Geli.
** Spread the Word for the Herds! Distribute BFC Newsletters in Your Community*
Help spread the word to save the herds! If you would like us to send you a stack of newsletters
to place around your community, Tara can help you [ mailto:email@example.com ] with that, too. We love that we have supporters who are willing to distribute our annual newsletter,
spreading the word to save the herds is one of our main tenets and we are thrilled to have so
many volunteers! Shipping can be costly, so *please let Tara know an exact number that you feel
you are able to distribute* and she will happily get them to you ASAP!
If your address has changed, or if you are new and would like to be added to our mailing list, please contact Tara at firstname.lastname@example.org
** Stand With the Buffalo! Front Lines Volunteers Needed for Coming Field Seasson! *
[ https://org.salsalabs.com/o/2426/images/BFConpatrol_BFCseay2015.jpg ] “BFC patrols look for buffalo in the Gardiner Basin. You, too, can join us on the front lines. We need you! Photo by Stephany Seay, BFC. Click for larger image. ”
Buffalo Field Campaign has seasonal openings for field volunteers. We have opportunities for every season, but are *in great need of folks during our field season which runs from November through May*. This is the time of year when wild bison are migrating into Montana and facing death and harassment. Any buffalo within Montana’s borders is in danger of being shot on sight, hazed, or captured and shipped to the slaughterhouse. All volunteers are provided room, board, gear, and training in exchange for staffing our field patrols. We cater to most any dietary need. We are located in a warm log cabin by beautiful Hebgen Lake, just a few miles outside of West Yellowstone, Montana, and we also run a camp north of Yellowstone, in the Gardiner Basin.
Click on the button above or HERE [ http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/aboutus/volunteeringatcamp.html ]to learn more and make your plans. See you on the front lines!
*The last wild, migratory buffalo populations are currently estimated at fewer than 4,200 individual animals, living in and around Yellowstone National Park. Wild, migratory bison are ecologically extinct throughout their native range in North America.
Total Buffalo Killed: 740*
Government Capture: 507
Buffalo Released from Capture: 0
Tribal – ITBC & CSKT Slaughter: 507
Died in Government Trap: 4
Died in Government Research Facility**:
Miscarriage in Government Trap:
State Hunt: 41
State Damage Hunts: 4
Treaty Hunts: 172
Poached in Yellowstone:
Sent to Quarantine:
Sent to APHIS Research Facility: 7
Shot by Agents:
Shot by Landowner:
Shot by Idaho: 1
Highway Mortality: 4
Cause of Death Unknown:
*Total Killed in Previous Years**
Total Killed Since 2000: 5,647
* includes lethal government action, trap-related fatalities, quarantine/experiments, hunts, and highway deaths
** bison stolen from the wild and placed in APHIS research facilities (such as for GonaCon) have already been counted as being “eliminated from the population” so bison that have died in a government research facility are not reflected in the total.
** Last Words of Buffalo Inspiration ~ Derrick Jensen*
“You know, of course, that the bison were wiped out to bring the Plains Indians to terms, and that’s one reason that the salmon were killed, is to break the cultural back of the Northwestern Indians. And it’s really clear to me that no wild community of foodstuffs can survive the logic
of capitalism. Because if I can go down to Elk Creek, and if I can catch salmon, why would I go
to Safeway and buy it? You know, why would people eat at MacDonalds, if you have passenger pigeon flocks so large that they’re darkening the sky for days at a time? That’s how it used to be.”
~ Derrick Jensen, from an interview with Earth First. Read or listen to the entire
” ” Please keep sending [ email@example.com ] quotes, poems and other words of buffalo wisdom. You’ll see them here! “You know, of course
“*BFC is the only group working in the field every day
in defense of the last wild buffalo population in the U.S.*”
[ https://org.salsalabs.com/o/2426/donate_page/forthebuffalo ] “Keep BFC on the front lines! ”
[ http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/bfcbenefitlicenseplate.html ] Drive the message home
[ http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/bfcbenefitlicenseplate.html ]
with a special Montana license plate!
Join Buffalo Field Campaign [ http://org.salsalabs.com/o/2426/t/7926/signUp.jsp?key=3378 ]
— It’s Free!
Tell-a-Friend [ http://org.salsalabs.com/o/2426/tellafriend.jsp?tell_a_friend_KEY=3835 ]!
WILD IS THE WAY ~ ROAM FREE!