Happy New Year!
I wanted to wish everyone a very happy New Year. Our office is always open to hearing new ideas that can help make Berkeley better. Feel free to contact our office.
City Council to Discuss Black Lives Matter Protests & Police Improvements – January 17 @ 10 a.m.
Special Council meeting Saturday at Ed Roberts Campus Atrium – 3075 Adeline Street, Berkeley, CA 94703
Improving Police and Community Relations: Discuss possible ways to improve community and police relations and addressing our response to what occurred in Ferguson, Missouri and beyond that will result in positive steps the City Council can pursue.
Martin Luther King Day of Service & Events
Volunteer Day of Service – Bay Area
· East Bay Parks <http://www.ebparks.org/about/getinvolved/volunteer/mlk-day-of-service-2015>
· EcoHouse<http://ecologycenter.org/ecohouse/> Garden workday: Monday, January 19, 2015, 9am-1pm. Location: EcoHouse, 1305 Hopkins Street (enter via garden entrance on Peralta Ave, around the corner just past the Karl Linn Community Garden), Berkeley CA 94702. Wear clothes you can get dirty. Light snacks provided. RSVP to Carrie Bennett, email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>, (510) 548-2220 x239
More Events, Marches, Resources:
· Movement Generation’s Class & Ecology Series <http://ecologycenter.org/events/race-class-and-ecology-black-liberation-and-ecology/>, Jan. 22nd
· Northern Cal MLK Foundation <http://norcalmlkfoundation.org/Events.html> (march & events at Yerba Buena Gardens)
· ColorLines article<http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/01/resolved_to_make_change_this_mlk_day_heres_a_guide_to_doing_it_all_year.html> on how to be a racial justice hero, on MLK day and all year round:
· IndyBay list of MLK Jr. Day events <http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2015/01/14/18766865.php>
Berkeley Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Breakfast – January 19 @ 8 a.m.
Hs Lordships @ 199 Seawall Drive
Ticket available at http://www.berkeleymlkjrday.org <http://www.berkeleymlkjrday.org> ($25 each)
Strawberry Creek Park Capital Improvements – January 21 @ 6:30 p.m.
Corporation Yard in the Green Room @ 1326 Allston Way,
Discussion on using Measure WW funds to use to improve Strawberry Creek Park
Sponsored by the Parks and Recreation & Waterfront Department
Community Forum: GO BERKELEY Parking- January 22 @ 6:30 p.m.
Claremont Branch Library @ 2940 Benvenue Ave
Discussion on goBerkeley parking program in the Elmwood District and the City
Berkeley Neighborhood Council – January 24th @ 10 a.m.
Art House Gallery @ 2905 Shattuck Ave
Discussion on improving the quality of life in Berkeley neighborhoods
City Council meeting Tuesday – January 27 @ 7p.m.
Old City Hall @ 2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
A. Our office introduced an item to increase funding for the Berkeley Project at UC Berkeley.
B. Support adding a language translator for the City website.
Berkeley Disaster Prep Neighborhood Network – January 29 @ 6:30 p.m.
Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalitsts @ 1606 Bonita Avenue, corner of Cedar and Bonita.
Guest speaker Timothy Burroughs, Chief Resilience Officer, will discuss the grant Berkeley received from the Rockefeller Foundation’s 100 Resilient Cities network.
Public Hearing on the 2015-2023 Housing Element
North Berkeley Senior Center – 1901 Hearst Ave
February 4th and 18th at 7 p.m.
City Open Data is Live
Check out this very new cool tool. data.cityofberkeley.info <mailto:email@example.com>
We are especially eager to hear what data sets the public most want available and any suggestions for improving this pilot project.
Gun Violence Prevention Summit 2015 – March 6 – 8, 2015
Generation Progress, formerly Campus Progress, is hosting a gun violence prevention conference.
Open to 18-35 year olds, travel and lodging provided.
To apply: http://genprogress.org/about/get-involved/gun-violence-prevention-summit-2015/
City of Berkeley, District 7
2180 Milvia Street, 5th Floor
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 981-7170 phone
(510) 981-7177 fax
SUPPORT ASHKENAZ – GIVE PEACE A DANCE – VIVA DAVID NADEL
** You may also now use PAYPAL to make a contribution to the peoples bark news berkeley using your credit card. This is a time-proven, safe system. **
Click the below link or highlight the URL (link) and paste it into your address bar at the top of your browser.
Make a donation to peoples bark news berkeley here:
Please keep in mind that if you would like to make a comment about this news brief, just look below and make your comment.
If you do not wish to remain on this list, please be sure and send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line and I will remove you ASAP.
The struggle continues, as expected!
JE SUIS CHARLIE
John Vance – Editor/Publisher/Compiler Peoples Bark News Berkeley ***********************************************************